Flashcards in Chapter 7: Carbohydrates Deck (7):
how do you find the number of possible isomers?
- n= number of chiral carbons
L> two H = not chiral
- mirror images
- not mirror images
D vs L sugar?
- looking at chiral carbon furthest from the carbonyl group!
- D= right OH
- L= left OH
- diastereomers that differ via one chiral atom
- when alpha and beta monosaccharides dissolve in water they interconvert forming an equilibrium mixture of open chain alpha and beta pyranose and furanose forms.
- beta= OH above carbon 1 , alpha= below