Flashcards in Kahilainen et al., 2014 - conservation implications of species-genetic diversity correlations Deck (8)
Why is intrapopulation genetic diversity important for the long-term persistence of populations?
- genetically determined phenotypic variation equated to a populations adaptive potential
- neutral genetic variation in populations reflect genetic drift & inbreeding which both reduce population viability
- reduced genetic diversity is related to extinction risk
- the ultimate goal of conservation actions is to ensure the long-term persistence of species,
- the conservation of intrapopulation genetic diversity should be of high priority
What is SGDC/what are studies on it useful for?
- species-genetic diversity correlations
- info on whether conservation of intrapopulation genetic diversity can conflict w conservation of species diversity / vice versa
- increases in area/connectivity are associated with positive SGDCs and persistence of species diversity
What are alpha SGDC (α-SGDC)
- relationship between species diversity in a local community & intrapopulation genetic diversity within the species
- observed both negative and positive in natural systems
- sign of the α-SGDC directly indicates whether there is a conflict between the conservation of the two levels of biodiversity
- postive α- SGDC = actions to conserve species diversity in a community likely to conserve intrapopulation genetic diversity too
- negative α-SGDC = opposite
- driven by stochastic processes, dispersal, and selection
- stronger on islands/island like localities
What is beta SGDC (β-SGDC)?
- differentiation between SDGCs at different localities
What drives genetic diversity within populations?
- genetic diversity within populations
(e.g. haplotype diversity, allelic richness, heterozygosity, or quantitative genetic variation)
- influenced by population size, gene flow, and selection
- above can be driven by same environmental characteristics that drive species diversity
What is the relationship of SGDCs with area?
- when community size positively correlates with area, area can drive positive α-SGDC
e.g. via stochastic processes, sampling effect
- # observed species increases with area
- extinction rate declines with area due to reduced demographic stochasticity
- average population size increases with increasing area
- more genetic diversity sampled from the regional gene pool
intensity of genetic drift
- larger populations tend to be more genetically diverse
- expected to drive positive β-SGDCs
What is the relationship of SGDCs with connectivity?
- connectivity influences dispersal between localities
- well connected localities more likely to receive immigrants from more species than unconnected ones
- also receive more alleles
- connectivity expected to drive positive α-SGDCs
- connectivity is expected to influence degree of community & genetic differentiation in parallel
- positive β-SGDC