Flashcards in Religion And Conflict Deck (20):
Definition of conflict
Clashes and breakdowns of relationships
Definition of interfaith community
A community that makes possible religious respect and dialogue between and among all people
Definition of interfaith dialogue
Exploring common grounds between different faith groups
Definition of just war
A war undertaken to protect the innocent or this being violated and to restore justice and peace
Definition of moral evil
Suffering caused by other humans, for examples of the holocaust
Definition of natural evil
Suffering not caused by someone or something, for example a volcanic eruption or tsunami
Definition of non violent protest
Showing disproval without damaging property or causing any threat
Definition of pacifism
The belief that any form of violence or war is unacceptable
Definition of reconciliation
Bringing harmony to a situation of disagreement and discord
Definition of suffering
Patience, endurance the bearing of pain or distress
State four reasons why people worship in special building?
1) church is the 'house of god'
2) a place where Christians come together
3) contains special furniture to help them worship
4) special place for Christians to show god their time/commitment
State four reasons why it is unnecessary to worship in a special building?
1) god is omnipresent
2) church means community not a place
3) waste of money- could be used for more important things 'love thy neighbour'
4) Quakers use a empty room
Three uses of icons
1) copies of heavenly images
2) Orthodox Church
3) people touch and kiss icons
Why do people worship Mary?
1) mother of Jesus
2) a virgin
3) his birth was a miracle "born through the power of the Holy Spirit"
4) takes a Catholics prayer to god
Three uses of stain glass windows?
1) decorate many old churches
2) often depict bible stories
3) use as a teaching aid
Three uses of symbolism of the crucifix
1) remind a catholic of Jesus' crucifixion
2) Jesus' death was a sacrifice
3) Jesus died for them
State three symbolic uses of the cross?
1) reminds us of the resurrection
2) Jesus defeats death
3) promise of eternal life
What do Christians wear as symbolism?
Four arguments for religiously believer to wear what they want?
2) saying that 'I am Christian and proud of it'
3) Jesus asked people to be "fishers of men"
4) can break down prejudice