Flashcards in 11.0 Immunology of Pregnancy Deck (14)
What are Medwar's ideas for why mother doesn't 'reject' baby?
1) Immunological immaturity of fetus (not true)
2) Maternal immunosuppression (more like immunomodulation)
3) Placental barrier
What are some pathogens that cross placenta?
Others = Listeria + Zika virus + Parvovirus
What percentage of embryos fail to implant?
What are the signs of pre-eclampsia?
1) HTN (170/110mmHg)
What are the two sites of interaction between maternal immune cells and trophoblast:
1) Maternal blood is in contact with syncytium (systemic immunity)
- Syncytiotrophoblast cells do not express MHC Class I or II (therefore evade immune recognition)
2) Invading trophoblast is in contact with immune cells (local immunity)
- Lymphocytes/Macrophages/Uterine NK cells
What sequelae can occur if trophoblast invasion is not controlled?
1) Placenta accreta
2) Ectopic pregnancy
What ligands are expressed on EVT?
- Varies from pregnancy to pregnancy
HLA-E - monomorphic
HLA-G - monomorphic
What is the main leukocyte found in the decidua?
- They can mediate direct contact with EVT cells
What receptors are found on NK cells?
What chromosome is the HLA-C locus found on?
What are the two groups for HLA-C?
C1 - No problems
C2- can cause inhibition of NK cell function if interacts with KIR haplotype A
What chromosome is the KIR locus found on?
What are the two groups for KIR?
- Can only respond to HLA-C with inhibition
- Haplotype A + C2 = problems (PE/FGR/RM)
- Protective when interacting with C2