Flashcards in The energy of games and theme rides Deck (6):
why do objects have gravitational potential
because of their mass and position in Earth’s gravitational field.
Recognise everyday examples in which objects use
gravitational potential energy (GPE).
- a diver jumps off the diving board
- a ball rolls down a hill
- a skydiver jumps out of a plane
equation for GPE
GPE = mass x gravitational field strength x vertical height
Understand that for a body falling through the
atmosphere at terminal speed:
• kinetic energy (KE) does not increase
• gravitational potential energy (GPE) is transferred
to increased internal or thermal energy of the
surrounding air particles through the mechanism
Interpret a gravity ride (roller-coaster) in terms of:
• kinetic energy (KE)
• gravitational potential energy (GPE)
• energy transfer.
1`. the cars start high up with a lot of GPE
2. as the cars drop, the GPE is gradually transferred into KE
3. the car reaches iits highest speed, max kinetic energy, at the bottom of the slope
4. as the car climbs the slope on the other side, KE is converted back into GPE, and it slows down