Flashcards in Musculature of the Scalp Deck (7):
What is the muscle of the scalp?
epicranius or occiptofrontalis
What muscle bellies form the epicranius?
- 2 frontalis bellies
- 2 occipitalis bellies
What is the galea aponeurotica?
a midline fibrous layer uniting the bellies of the epicranius
What innervates the epicranius?
- temporal branches of the facial nerve to the frontalis
- posterior auricular branches of the facial nerve to the occipitalis
What serves as the bony attachment for the epicranius?
- lateral 2/3 of the highest nuchal line on the occiptal bone
- mastoid process of the temporal bone
What muscles are continuous with the frontalis belly?
- corrugator supercilii
- orbital part of orbicularis oculi