Flashcards in Advising Patients on Obesity Deck (6):
What is meant by the 'locus of control' psychological concept of behaviour change?
Expectancy that rewards are controlled by external forces rather than one’s own behaviour (lack of accountability)
What is meant by the 'self-efficacy' psychological concept of behaviour change?
Action is a function of the perceived likelihood of illness, it’s seriousness and the costs/benefits of the action
What is meant by the 'health belief model' psychological concept of behaviour change?
Belief in the ability to succeed (this is task-specific)
What are the 5 stages of behaviour change?
1. Pre-contemplation (happy with status quo)
2. Contemplation (thinks about change)
3. Preparation (getting ready)
4. Action (attempting change)
5. Maintenance or Relapse (doing well or reverts to old ways)
What are the two main surgical treatments of obesity?
Roux-en-Y bypass (restrictive and malabsorption) or a band