Flashcards in The Allergic Lung Deck (5)
What causes the switch in B cells from IgM to IgE?
• First signal is by IL-4 or IL-13
The second signal is when CD14 on B cells binds to its ligand on T cells
What are the clinical features of bronchial asthma?
• Acute attacks of SOB due to contraction of smooth muscle
• Mucus hypersecretion
• Airway inflammation
• Bronchial hyper-responsiveness
Which cytokine prolongs the survival of eosinophils?
Outline the phases of asthma
• Bronchospasm – lasts 2 hours past exposure to trigger
• Inflammation – occurs about 4 hours after a trigger and lasts for about 3 hours